Floods are the United States’ costliest and deadliest natural disaster. Flooding has affected all 50 states across the country. In 2016, 32 major disaster declarations were made involving flooding.Flood Disasters: Basic Facts
- Flood damages average $7.9 billion annually, and are rising 2% per year.
- About 9 million people live in Special Flood Hazard Areas (areas with a 1% chance of flooding/year).
- In 2016, there were 126 flood fatalities, more than any other natural disaster. The 30-year average is 84 fatalities per year.
- Enhance community resilience
- Reduce flood fatalities
- Improve mitigation investment decisions
- Improve predictive flood analysis
- Improve flood data and access; and
- Reduce losses.
JOIN THE CONVERSATIONWe want to hear from you…
The Flood Apex Program, via the DHS S&T National Conversation Flood Resilience Dialogue, is facilitating a series of roundtable discussions and IdeaScale conversations with practitioners, consumers, and specialists on the Reduce Losses component of the Flood Apex Program. We want to hear from you about your experience with flooding and flood insurance from perspective of the homeowner, business owner, and public infrastructure owner/operator. Click on each page to join the conversation!"